- Now > Labor Day: "It's the end of the summer. No one is working."
- After Labor Day > Election day: "We have to run for re-election. No time for legislating."
- After Election Day > Thanksgiving: "Lame duck Congress. Can't pass anything now!"
- Thanksgiving > January 3: "Holiday recess!"
- January 3 (new Congress is sworn in) > January 26 (State of the Union): "Hey, where's the bathroom? Do I get my own parking spot?"
So right around Groundhog Day, the new Congress will be ready to leap into action and do the people's business. Until the Presidents Day recess, which usually lasts through Easter.